English and Literacy
Below are the expectations for Reading and Writing in Year 1 - please also see the attached pdf document for the Year 1 English Long Term Plan for curriculum coverage.
• Identify which words appear again and again.
• Recognise and join in with predictable phrases.
• Relate reading to own experiences.
• Re-read if reading does not make sense.
• Re-tell with considerable accuracy.
• Discuss significance of title and events.
• Make predictions on basis of what has been read.
• Make inferences on basis of what is being said and done.
• Read aloud with pace and expression, i.e. pause at full stop; raise voice for question.
• Recognise: capital letters, full stops, question marks, exclamation marks, ellipsis.
• Know why the writer has used the above punctuation in a text.
• Know difference between fiction and non-fiction texts.
• Write clearly demarcated sentences.
• Use ‘and’ to join ideas. • Use conjunctions to join sentences (e.g. so, but).
• Use standard forms of verbs, e.g. go / went.
• Introduce use of: capital letters, full stops, question marks, exclamation marks.
• Use capital letters for names and personal pronoun ‘I’.
• Write a sequence of sentences to form a short narrative [as introduction to paragraphs].
• Use correct formation of lower case – finishing in right place.
• Use correct formation of capital letters.
• Use correct formation of digits.